What We do
Energy From Waste
Household Waste and Recycling Acceptable Waste
The Household waste recycling centres may have alternatiove names such as Civic amenities and the colloquially used name the ‘Tip’ which may have been an accurate description years ago but our site certainly can claim that for the majority of waste then it is either recycled or recovered.
These centres are there to serve the general public and the local area by allowing people to directly deposit waste in designated skips before the waste is disposed of responsibly and legally.
How do I dispose of any extra waste or items too big for my bin?
Our Hanford Household waste recycling centre are for any items from your own home that are not suitable, too large or will not fit in your waste and recycling bins, boxes or bags. Some larger supermarkets also have local recycling points. Please check direct with your local supermarket to find if they have facilities and what you can recycle there.
- Open to Stoke-on-Trent and Staffordshire residents – if using own car and without trailer
- No height barrier
- Disabled parking – please ask attendants for help
- Waste Permit Scheme in operation (all other restriction / limits apply). Application forms available on site (Stoke-on-Trent residents only) – please allow two-three weeks delivery
- Hired vans (Stoke-on-Trent Residents only) – you must show your short term hire agreement
- No pedestrian access
- No Trade/Commercial Waste permitted – disposal via private trade sites only or contact email@example.com for details on trade collections
- Construction rubble and soil wastes, plasterboard and other types of DIY wastes are accepted at the site but from the 1st May 2019 charges for disposal will apply. Charges are £3 per bag for large item for construction, rubble, soil or DIY type waste and £4 per bag for large item of plasterboard. Other restrictions may apply. Full details are available at www.stoke.gov.uk. Follow the link to "The Tip" and then "Hanford HWRC".
- Trailers, vans and commercial type vehicles refused entry without correct permit
- Please allow 15 minutes before closing time to unload vehicle
- Vehicles may be refused entry if unloading cannot be completed in time
- Black bagged domestic waste for disposal to Energy from Waste facility (please remove all recyclable and electrical items)
- Bulky household waste for disposal to landfill (please remove all recyclable and electrical items)
- Card – white and brown cardboard
- Cartons – Tetra pak and other food or drink cartons
- Cooking oil
- Construction and DIY wastes (not classed as household waste so charges for disposal will apply). This includes:
- Rubble, brick and tile wastes, including porcelain ceramic wastes such as sinks, toilets, pedestals etc.
- Plaster, plaster board and plastering wastes (You must remove all soil, bricks and other materials attached to these items before taking to the site
- Soil waste
- Charges will also apply to other DIY wastes such as plastic or fibreglass baths, shower screen plate or sheet glass. There will also be restrictions on the amounts of fitted items such as doors, windows, cupboards, wardrobes and UPVC items such as soffits, fascia's windows and doors.
- Full detailsof all charges and restrictions are available at www.stoke.gov.uk. Follow the link to "The Tip" and then "Hanford HWRC"
- Electrical items:
- Large domestic appliances
- Refrigerators and freezers
- TVs and monitors
- Small electrical items
- Batteries, car batteries and large rechargeables
- Small batteries
- Energy efficient light bulbs (not old style)
- Engine oil
- Fluorescent tubes
- Furniture donations
- Glass (bottle and jar glass only – no sheet glass, Pyrex or drinking glasses)
- Green Waste – garden, grass and tree cuttings for composting (no bags, pots or litter)
- Paint donations
- Paper (newspapers, magazines, catalogues and junk mail)
- Plastic household containers
- Scrap Metal (non-electrical)
- Textiles – clothes and accessories
We cannot accept:
- Gas Bottles (Please return to original supplier) – Some suppliers accept other makes
- Shopping trolleys (please return to relevant supermarket)
- Bread baskets (please return to original supplier)
- Bottle crates, beer kegs, CO2 etc. (please return to original supplier)